Have you ever thought about how much household waste we generate in a day? According to report by Chintan Environmental Research and Action Group, individual middle-class residents in big cities generate nearly 0.8 kg of waste per day. And nearly 60% or more of the daily waste generated in households is made up of organic matter. A family of 4 produces 1.92 Kgs/day of organic matter.
It is the responsibility of every citizen of India to ensure that they are not adding to the land fill s when it can be easily converted to compost. In rural areas, they dig up the land and fill it with the dry leaves and let it compost, which is later used as a organic manure. But in urban areas where there is a space constraint these traditional methods do not work out.
Composting is the best way to handle your food waste; it needn't ever leave your apartment or head to the landfills. You can convert your daily dustbin contents into rich, organic manure and grow flowers, vegetables or plants with it.
|Let's not Dump|
Advantages of Home Composting:
- Soil conditioner: With compost, you are creating rich humus for lawn and garden. This adds nutrients to your plants and helps retain moisture in the soil.
- Recycles kitchen and yard waste: Composting can divert as much as 30% of household waste away from the garbage can.
- Introduces beneficial organisms to the soil: Microscopic organisms in compost help aerate the soil, break down organic material for plant use and ward off plant disease.
- Good for the environment: Composting offers a natural alternative to chemical fertilizers.
- Reduces landfill waste: Most landfills in India are quickly filling up; One-third of landfill waste is made up of compostable materials.
Vatapi Bins from the Smart Pongo is pretty good way to create compost from the kitchen waste with ease in the kitchen.
Advantages of Vatapi Bins:
- Bins fit very well in limited space available in kitchens
- No problem of flies, cockroaches, rodents
- No need of dry leaves and hand mixing.
- Generated compost can be used to make plants healthy and increase the yield.
- Liquid generated from this bin can be used in gardens and also unclogging of the pipes
The compost generated can be used for growing healthy vegetables, flowers and herbs. If you feel you are generating more compost than needed, the compost can be donated to nearby gardens or can be sold to the compost collectors